Please note that regulations and rules related to COVID-19 and reopening businesses change daily. The information in this article is current as of the publication date only. Please check local, state, and federal regulations for the most current information about reopening your business.
New information and guidelines emerge daily around COVID-19. This impacts workers on the frontlines, but it also affects business owners, who, after closing, reopening, and even closing again, have to navigate evolving recommendations.
Those changing goalposts can upend even the strongest of business continuity plans. But by staying informed, you can keep pace with new developments and reopen your business successfully.
To start, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have both provided guidance for business owners as they approach reopening plans — specifically around four key areas:
- Cleaning and disinfecting physical spaces to initially and routinely remove contaminants.
- Training and retraining staff on new policies and procedures to protect the health and safety of the workforce, like wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) and social distancing.
- Management and communications to support compliance with new policies and procedures.
- Facilities and equipment safety, like checking air ventilation or reconfiguring workspaces.
We’ve compiled a list of where to go when looking for the right COVID-19 information from federal entities.
OSHA resources for business owners
Many things have changed about COVID-19, so visit OSHA’s COVID-19 business hub for information, guidance, and resources related to workplace safety and health. Notably, OSHA regularly updates the “News and Updates” column, which it organizes by the newest first. Though the agency includes several resources on its site, these are ones you’ll probably want to review first:
- Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19: This PDF outlines preparations to take to mitigate exposure to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. In addition to general tips that all workplaces should follow (like how to develop a response plan), it also provides counsel based on a workplace’s exposure risk, from low (for office workers who don’t interact closely with each other or the public) to very high (for healthcare workers who care for COVID-19 patients). This resource is also available in Spanish.
- Guidance on Returning to Work: This PDF resource includes factors to consider for reopening plans, like hygiene, social distancing, and determining when and how workers need PPE. It also includes OSHA’s preexisting mandatory protections and how they apply to COVID-19.
- Interim Guidance for Specific Worker Groups: Dentists, retail workers, in-home repair services, and other industries will find specific guidance here.
- Frequently Asked Questions: This live page answers employers’ common questions, including the provision and wearing of face masks, setting up hand-washing stations, and COVID-19 testing.
Keep in mind that you don’t have to navigate these waters alone. OSHA also provides a free onsite consultation program for all small and medium businesses, though high-risk worksites take priority.
CDC resources for business owners
Unlike OSHA, the CDC doesn’t enforce compliance with its guidance. Employers should still take the CDC’s recommendations on its Businesses and Workplace page seriously.
Here’s where to start:
- Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers Responding to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): These recommendations outline how to prevent workplace exposure. Sections include best practices to prevent transmission among employees and how to maintain healthy business operations and work environments.
- Reopening Guidance for Cleaning and Disinfecting Public Spaces, Workplaces, Businesses, Schools, and Homes: As part of the broader “White House Guidelines for Opening Up America Again,” this subset details initial and routine cleaning protocols — including EPA-approved products to kill the virus, cleaning directions by surface type, and how to create a usable disinfectant plan for your business.
- Frequently Asked Questions: Similar to OSHA’s FAQs, this live page is a repository for common questions related to COVID-19 in the workplace. Sections include how to manage suspected or confirmed cases and how to handle everyday activities like business travel or in-person meetings.
- Health and Safety Steps for Specific Occupations: Like OSHA’s resource, this collection of links provides specific guidance for various industries, including nail salon employees, delivery and rideshare drivers, and others.
Stay informed, smart, and whenever possible, one step ahead.
Counterpoint retail management solution targets the small to mid-market retailer in a variety of verticals. It is a well rounded solution that covers more than Point of Sale, and supports multi-channel activities.
In a world where technology is rapidly changing, you need a partner who can adapt quickly! CP-Commerce, the leader in point-of-sale technology integration, has the solutions your business demands to keep you competitive and moving forward. NCR Counterpoint is an innovative, feature-rich retail management solution designed to handle all aspects of a retailer’s business.
It is important that your E-commerce web site must be easy to use so that the shopper will be able to locate the merchandise and have confidence when placing their orders. If first time buyers are satisfied with the prices in the website as well as their experience, they are more likely to come back and shop again.
If you choose to setup an E-Commerce web site, you must be certain that the cart is search engine friendly. If customers are unable to find your online store, it will be difficult to make sales.
- Full Retail Management Suite – Point of Sale, Inventory, Customers, Accounts Receivable, Order Management Automated Purchasing, Timecards, Reporting and Accounting Integration.
- Mobile – Mobile tools to help you sell, record inventory, physical counts and more.
- Microsoft SQL Database – NCR Counterpoint is built on the Microsoft SQL Server® database platform providing reliable data storage, scalability, and exceptional performance.
- EMV Support – Chip and Pin technology to ensure your customer’s credit card data is secure.
- Microsoft Dynamics Accounting Integration – NCR Counterpoint offers a direct interface to Microsoft Dynamics and many other popular accounting solutions.
- Contactless Payments – Offer the payment solutions your consumers demand with support for Apple Pay and Google Wallet.
- Point-to-Point Encryption – Adds another layer of security to ensure your customer’s data is protected.
- Social Media, Email Marketing – Market to your customers with the built in email and social media platform.
NCR CounterPoint is an all-in-one retail management solution providing Point of Sale (POS) check out, Inventory Management, Reporting, and Analytics. The system encompasses a “one-stop-solution” for all retail point of sale and online eCommerce needs.
CP Commerce’s Counterpoint POS integration enables POS product data including item number (SKU), item name, quantity on hand, customer specific pricing, long description, and HTML to automatically sync between Counterpoint POS and online sales channels. As items are added or updated in POS, the product updates entered in POS are synced with multiple online channels automatically. This includes websites, eBay, Amazon, and other online sales channels. Counterpoint POS integration with eCommerce feeds online orders into Counterpoint POS automatically.
The integration eliminates the need for manual data entry. Orders placed online feed to Counterpoint POS automatically on a schedule, eliminating repetitive data entry, order entry, and data entry errors. The automation saves time and labor cost. Let CP Commerce help you build and take your store & inventory online today.
CP Commerce also specializes in customization’s tailored to fit the needs of each business that we partner with. Therefore, these customization’s are retrofitted to help inventory, reporting, and even 3rd party applications to processes in your business’s sales funnel.
• Automatically upload product information from NCR Counterpoint POS to your web store.
• Automatically update latest pricing & stocks from POS to the web store.
• Automatically update Counterpoint inventory to online marketplaces including eBay and Amazon.
• Automatically downloaded web store orders in Counterpoint for fulfilment
• Eliminate duplicate and manual data entry on your website.
• The most affordable Omni-Channel experience to your customers.
Hence, CP-Commerce is your one-stop-shop for all retail brick and mortar inventory control and automation as well as online integration for your eCommerce store.
CP-Commerce – A Magento 2 E-Commerce Integration
Imagine being able to see directly into your online and in-store inventory all on one cohesive system.
This includes a fully customizable theme and styling to give your site a unique and professional appearance. The theme specifically drives the overall look and feel of your site. You can choose your theme options specific to your company in the CP-Commerce Admin Panel. You can also change the fonts and colors, display your own slideshow on the home page, customize the header and footer areas and much more. If you wish to fine-tune the design, you can customize the CSS file or completely change the built-in elements using XML.
CP-Commerce Integration to Counterpoint SQL
CP-Commerce eCommerce integration to Counterpoint syncs all your items, prices, A/R and customer data between your e-commerce website and CounterPoint. If there aren’t existing extensions to meet your needs, we can develop them for you in-house. Sync directly from CounterPoint to eCommerce. Here are some advantages of integrating to NCR Counterpoint-
- You’re Always Connected & Selling to the Connected Customer
- Unified Customer Experience Across Channels
- Achieve Seamless Synchronization of Your Inventory & Supply Chain
- Centralized Customer & Sales History
- Data Security Beyond the Transaction
- Selecting Your Integration Partner
Give your shoppers more to look at – more details, more colors, and more images. Built-in image zooms let shoppers see the finer details of each product. Show off the front, back, inside and other views of each product with an unlimited number of alternate images, and associate images with additional product options such as color, etc. Shoppers can sign up for Email Alerts if they want to be notified when a product is back in stock, or when the price changes for a product they’re interested in buying.
Email alerts are automatic – when you receive more inventory or set up sale pricing in CounterPoint, Magento automatically updates the quantities and prices in your online store, and your online store automatically emails the shoppers who have signed up for alerts. As you can see, CP-Commerce is packed with features. Don’t see something you’re looking for? There’s a good chance it’s built in or can be added relatively inexpensively.
In short- let us help and guide you on automating your business into a fluid, robust, and dynamic powerhouse of sales.
About Computer SOS, Inc.:
Computer SOS, Inc. was founded in the mid-nineties as a small computer repair business in Williamsville, New York on the outskirts of Buffalo. Since then we have grown to a full-service company offering solutions, service, consumables, hardware and software, on-site technical design, installation, support and training, custom application development, web site design and hosting, management, and internet connectivity.